Translate

Monday 29 August 2011

Ultras..Wasps & Toenails !!

Hi All,

Recovering well after Saturday's antics on the Speyside Way Ultra Race.

Race Report.

I'm waiting on the official results, so not sure placings and exact timings yet.
The weather forecast of heavy rain etc didn't happen thankfully and it turned out ideal running conditions, not too warm.
My plan was to run fairly strong early on to be up on the clock for a sub 6 hour finishing time, so I could take it a little easier in the latter stages. However at the start it was more like a 10k race rather than a near 60k race, such was the early pace. I reached the first checkpoint ( 12 miles ) at Craigellachie in 1hr 39 mins, a little faster than I originally planned. Still I was going pretty well and feeling good.
Then came the hills after Craigellachie, up and down and up and down until the Fochabers Checkpoint at mile 25. I passed through around 3 hours 40 mins, had a 10 minute refuel then carried on munching a banana as I ran. At this stage life was good, my legs felt fine, breathing all good, stomach ok, however , 2 miles further on at mile 27, I encountered a first. I made a very close aquaintance with a wasp who didn't take kindly to being stuck on my sock and stung me on my ankle. :-(
As I investigated the sting my ankle started to swell, so 2 choices, do I hobble back to the last Marshall feeling sorry for myself or 'do a Forest' and run 10 miles to the Finish ?  I chose the latter, all the time hoping that running will prevent my ankle from swelling up further, fortunately it worked, no anaphylaxis !!
From Spey Bay to Buckie it seems to go on for ever, I just dug in and kept running along, popping the odd jelly baby as a reward to myself. For the last 2 miles I was starting to recite nursery rhymes, Humpty Dumpty and Jack & Jill, to myself, I do it quite often on Ultras at various stages !!
Eventually I turned the corner on Buckie High street for the last uphill push to the Finish line and a warm welcome from Race Director Sarah-Louise Grigor. Finishing in a time, according to my watch, of 5 hours 56 mimutes, 10 minutes quicker than last year despite  the wasp sting. Result !!

This year there was a good turn out of new and old faces, with a lot of last year's runners achieving PB's this year. Every runner received a really nice finishers medal and goody bag, complete with whisky minature.

Re the 'Toenail' I lost yet another one, didn't even know it had gone. I don't think I'll ever make it as a 'foot' model as my toenails are in a constant state of flux, repair / disrepair !!

I went for an easy run yesterday just to ease off my legs, and today had a complete rest day. Tomorrow back to training starting with the road bike.

As for Tor Des Geants, I have ordered my vast stock of race fuel, Hammer Perpetuem, hotel in Courmayeur is booked prior to the race, I am checking / re-checking all equipment, so just about ready. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment