Translate

Wednesday 10 August 2011

The Spine Ultra Marathon...268 miles !!

Hi All,

Signed up for another Ultra today, 'The Spine'

Vicky ( My 'Mrs') was not initially impressed, she worries that I will fall off a mountain one day ! After much assurance that I have a good sense of 'self-preservation', and that I will increase my life insurance, she's accepted my participation in the race. :-) I'm also booking a nice hotel Vicky has requested for our anniversary in October ( nothing like bribery !!)

Basically it's a 268 mile non-stop monster of an Ultra along the entire Pennine range from Derbyshire to the Scottish Borders. Taking place in January 2012... Winter !!! Brrrrrrrrr !!

It is hailed as Britain's most Brutal Ultra Marathon.

Given the distance, the likely weather conditions, snow, wind, ice & rain and the fact it's non-stop, that's a very true title. However the flip side is some of England's most spectacular wild and unspoilt scenery, and the chance to take part in something that will be truly epic !

I've signed up for the Elite class, 268 miles inside 6 days and only 3 Elite checkpoints. So it's going to be a major exercise in equipment choice, nutritional planning, self sufficiency and, mental and physical toughness. The weather in January alone is going to be a huge factor in the ability physically and mentally to finish this race, with hypothermia and exposure hampering decision making and physical progress. So this will most likely be my toughest endurance test so far.

For now I'm concentrating on my final preparations for the 208 mile Tor des Geants, regular hill work, some long runs, speed work, core strengthening and practising running with poles.  Checking kit, planning travel, accommodation etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment