Translate

Sunday 21 August 2011

Tor Des Geants....Am I ready ???

3 weeks to go to the start of the massive 208 mile Tor Des Geants in the Val d' Aosta, Italy.

At the moment I am having mixed emotions, part of me is getting really excited and can't wait to set foot onto the course, the other part is apprehensive, have I done enough prep and training ???

For every runner out there it's the same, in the lead up to a race many of us wonder if we've done enough or too little training.
My philosophy has been to listen to my body rather than stick to a rigid training plan. I've mixed in hill sessions, speed work, long runs, core exercises and importantly....rest.
I am of the opinion I would rather turn up to a race of this magnitude, rested, fresh and with no niggly injuries, than have run the risk of over-training and be carrying any aches or pains.
So in the lead up to the Tor des Geants I have one last training race next Saturday, the 36.5 mile Speyside Way, then on the Sunday I'll do a longish slow recovery run, then in the remaining 2 weeks a lot of easy road biking, some shorter hill sessions and importantly plenty of rest / recovery sessions.
The other main focus is to eat plenty of high quality carbs and proteins, not just to stock up my energy reserves but also to bolster my immune system and keep it in top form.
So do I feel ready??  Yes!!

Today I did a total of 15 miles  from Crathes to Aberdeen. Within that run I opened up a little and did a 12 mile Tempo session in a time of 1 hr 23 mins, averaging just under 7 min miles. That was followed by an Ice bath when I got home. First minute was painful to say the least but after a short while becomes weirdly enjoyable !!!

Compulsory Kit list for 268 mile Spine race has just been announced so it looks like I will be in the market for an Ultra-lightweight Tent / Bivvi shelter. Roll on payday !

Good Tea Room
Before today's run Vicky & I stopped at Easter Anguston Farm. Located 1 mile west of Peterculter on the outskirts of Aberdeen, just off the A93.
The farm is run by the VSA to help trainees develop vocational, social and daily living skills to help them get the most out of lifeand live as independantly as possible in the local community.
Facilities include a tea room that offers a good selection of home bakes, coffees etc, Pick You Own fruit, strawberries etc, Nature trails and Walks, numerous animals, a picnic area and a Farm shop. All in all a great day out for all the family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary, hope to see you at Speyside on Saturday and cannot wait to hear how you get on at the Tor Des Geants.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    look forward to seeing at the Speyside Way race.
    I will be sending regular reports and pics back from Italy charting my progress during the race, and following it up with a full report once I'm back.

    Gary.

    ReplyDelete